Ban Gloomily Accepted by Fireworks Industry
It looks like fireworks vendors would have to look for a plan B after the ban on pyrotechnics was approved last week by Midland County commissioners and Governor Rick Perry.
Jan Johnson, TNT Fireworks vice president, said of the ban, “Obviously this is a devastating blow for the fireworks industry. It was, I’m sure, a very difficult decision. At this point we just have to hope that the weather turns.”
Commissioners on Friday voted for a 60-hour ban on fireworks. They then made an appeal to Gov. Perry to extend the ban, as required by state law, through July 4. The governor acceded to their request and disallowed the sale or use of fireworks in Midland County until 7 a.m. July 5, or past the period in which they can be sold in Texas.
According to County Judge Mike Bradford, the decision was made early, partially because they wanted to give time to companies in the fireworks industry to move their inventory elsewhere in order to minimize any losses.
With the enormously dry conditions and continuing forecasts of zero precipitation, Bradford said that it has become necessary to prohibit the use of fireworks to protect citizens and their properties.
Taking their inventory elsewhere and selling them through the season in another county are being looked at by Scott Baker at Truckload Fireworks. While the use of all fireworks has not been banned in nearby Ector County, Baker said that with the absence of precipitation, it likely will follow the lead of Midland County. “We can’t sell ’em if it’s dry,” said Baker.